Looking for something Specific?

Wednesday, 11 March 2015

All The Light We Cannot See (by Anthony Doerr)

18143977



10/10



100% non-spoilery (I don't even name characters or places so if you are wanting to go in blind I've got you covered.)

This book singlehandedly destroyed me! I fell into it and lived every moment along with the characters. I am in love with this book!!!


The writing: 

I am new into the world of Literature and Adult Fiction. I spend most of my time reading stereotypical YA novels and easy, fast reads to give my brain a little reprieve. If this is what the land of mature books tastes like I am hooked! The novel was written like a song; lyrical and stitched together with such literary mastery I had to stop and reread lines. Every paragraph, line, sentence and word was raw, tentative and rich with colour. The novel simply sparkled with the emotion of an author truly in love with the story. I would recommend this novel for it's literary genius alone!

The Plot:
This is a WWII historical fiction, in no way is it a breezy read. The storyline was achingly beautiful and kept building all the way through the story to come crashing at an ending so fiercely emotional I felt an ache in my chest and tears ran down my face. The novel brought you there and followed the timeline of the war so perfectly, you could feel the tension and gradual build up of the war. Starting out sweet and sparkling with childhood innocence, this novel will carry you from childhood to the impending and tragic loss of innocence that only war can bring on. Building at a steady crescendo you will be shown the fall and rise of the human spirit in bright technicolor.
The alternating points of views and periods in time was done so perfectly it added to the novel rather than took away from it as so many other books I've read do. Never was I confused as to who's voice in the story I was reading or where and when I was reading in regards to the story. It was seamless.

The Characters:
The characters where so real, so organic, so full of human weakness and light they themselves were works of art. Not one character at any time was boring to follow or forced. Each character had it's own light, it's own glimmer of humanity that it became impossible to truly hate any character. All suffering in some unspeakable way you could see why they where acting as they where and feel such a strong empathy towards them.

Overall this book was incredible and a read full of both literary and human brilliance! In no way can I gather my thoughts and feelings towards it enough to fully do it justice. It is simply amazing, you'll just have to take my word for it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment