7/10
I found the writing very good and the content a little eerie, but I never felt disturbed or chilled by the almost perverse writing style. The reviews on Goodreads make this novel out to be provocative, disturbing, occult, and twisted. I was met with a mildly creepy tale of a young, disturbed, woman.
I admired that the novel was from the perspective of Merricat! Her being an unreliable narrator really added to the novel and set the mood. The entire book I found myself wondering at her. I couldn't figure her out and still, even after finishing the book, don't know what exactly is going on in that head of hers.
Having been reading this during a road trip I was preoccupied with the scenery and would often stop after paragraphs to look out the window. Having not been fully diving this novel my attention was probably the cause of my disappointment in the classic. I will definitely go back and read this book some other time when I'm in the mood for something dark and see if it changes my review.


No comments:
Post a Comment